Tuesday, November 20, 2012

QiOptic Visit to School Reflections


Prior expectations:

I honestly think it is going to be tough. Doing something that no one else has ever done before is not exactly my strong suit. I had tried to generate ideas prior to the workshop but I always think none of them are ever going to work. Making something like this needs lots of application of our physics knowledge. I’m not so good at that, but I’ll still give it a try. No pain, no gain!
I also think this will be interesting. Seeing what others make is something I like a lot. Mr. Siew
has also never done this before, so this will be fun to watch how he does it. Doing something new and unique may be fun and exciting, but it will also be difficult! Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Post-workshop reflections:

Well, that was interesting.
If there’s one thing I have to criticize about what happened is that none of the ideas were original. XD
The student body was basically split into groups of 3-4 guys. Mr. Siew was an awesome man. Nice accent and cool sense of humor. What went on was that Mr. Siew recapped our lenses concepts briefly before letting us do our own thing, which was to create a device that allows people to examine teeth using our mobile phones.
The basic specs of our “original” device are as follows:
A biconvex lens of focal length of 9 mm was pasted to my iPhone camera 4.5 mm away from the camera lens. It was secured with a coil of Easy-tac and the resulting device was protected with a layer of tape. It is very simple. Probably too simple… XD
But the other groups’ innovations aren’t any much better. So maybe I shouldn’t feel so bad about the simplicity of my product.
The
course lets me realize how difficult it can be to apply knowledge we learn in school into real life. In the midst of making our product, almost no planning was done. It was mostly trial and error, messing around
with equipment here and there until we could get a sharp image on my phone screen. It just goes to show that what comes to innovation, we’d rather just try stuff along the way. That’s not very good…
But in overall, this workshop was really fun and interesting. We had lots of laughs when each group took turns to describe their innovation, especially when David went all-out to “praise” our produced. Marketing strategy for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment