Tuesday, November 20, 2012

3M Visit Reflections


Prior expectations:

I think the visit to 3M will be very epic. It will be my first time at a manufacturing facility, so I expect to be able to learn a lot from this place. It is especially exciting too, as 3M has so many products ranging all kinds of uses, from home applications to industrial equipment. The factory facility won’t necessarily manufacture a whole lot of products, but this will still be a good experience.

Post-journey reflections:

That was some awesome stuff!
When we arrived at 3M, the place looked a little old, kind of like 90’s interior design. I have to admit, though, some of the rooms look really nice, really modern. I can’t complain about the looks of the place, then.
We were taken into an auditorium where the staff there gave us an introduction to the company. Wow! 55,000+ products… and 3rd choice company among Singaporeans to work in. That’s something! Maybe I want to work here… This place is great!
I learned today that companies like this have their own set of ethics and values to follow. So not only do schools make students follow rules and values, even multinational companies do such a thing as well. At least 3M isn’t obsessed about making big money…
Next, we were given a tour of the manufacturing facility: the highlight of the visit! There were 2 floors that we were taken to: one had labs where new products would be developed and tested, the other had all the heavy equipment for product production. It was awesome! Seeing all that high-tech equipment makes me really excited. They had clean rooms where not more than 1,000 particles were allowed in one cubic meter of air. We didn’t really go in that room, though. That was somewhat disappointing…
I have learnt that safety comes first in a manufacturing plant. There were so many safety protocols to follow: for example, no photo-taking. All these measures were meant for the safety of us and everyone in the building, I understand, but being so limited in what one can do is somewhat irritating and frustrating for me. I don’t like following rules! XD
3M also has Kaizen rooms: little rooms which anyone (I mean ANYONE) can use to let their creative juices flow.  I like this idea: even factory workers operating heavy equipment can make a difference to society with a good idea. Of course, no one can slack off here, but at least, workers can take a bit of time off of work to be creative. This just goes to show how much emphasis 3M places on creativity and innovation. I’m impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment